|« Tineye - Find Images Online (1)||Staging & Screens for Honda Presentation »|
I was contacted by another presentation designer yesterday about a really bad presentation issue he experienced after installing Microsoft updates (thanks Don!). Then a number of other users started posting their issues on MS Answers.com. This is a big deal for many presentation designers!
After installing Microsoft Security Update KB2753842 PowerPoint is unable to display certain fonts.
OTF, Open Type Fonts. Microsoft ships TT (True Type) fonts, so all standard Microsoft fonts are unaffected.
WHAT HAPPENS:- PowerPoint behaves normal and in edit view all fonts display fine. When run as a slide show, all Open Type Fonts (OTF) do not display.
- Remove Microsoft Security Update KB2753842
- To Remove:
Start >> Control Panel >> Unistall a Program >> View Installed Updates(link on left) >> scroll to Microsoft Windows section >> search for "Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB2753842)" >> right click >> select Uninstall >> say "Yes" to confirmation >> restart computer
Update 12/20/12:- MS has confirmed "An updated security patch has been released at 10:00am today, fully tested this week by Office teams." So PPT is once again safe to use.
- Earlier note that the update has been pulled is not completely accurate. The update has been 'pulled' from the auto install status, but still shows up in the optional installs. If you see it in the optional installs, see note below on how to hide update.
- This issue is much larger than only affecting OTF fonts. In PowerPoint and Word (2010), several TTF fonts (you can test with Myriad Pro) will also disappear is any formatting (shadow, outline, bevel, etc.) is applied. This text will actually disappear in the edit view, as well as in slide show. Plus the KB update creates similiar issues in several other applications (Flash, Corel Draw, etc.).
- Microsoft has a KB information article on the issues caused by installing KB2753842 here.
Microsoft has confirmed that it has pulled the update and working on a fix. So if you have not installed, it should not show up. If you uninstall, it will not be an option to install again. And if you are in an enterprise environment with automatic group policy updates, it will not reinstall again the next day.
- If the update KB2753842 has not installed, but is pending (ie. downloaded automatically, but not automatically installed), it will not show up in the above Uninstall a Program instructions.
- Launch WINDOWS UPDATE >> view available updates >> if KB2753842 is listed >> Right-click >> select HIDE UPDATE.
- Troy @ TLC
|<< <||> >>|